Thursday, June 19, 2008

Purpose

Some time ago, I became concerned with some questions about the nature of self and other. Over the last ten years I have canvassed students and professors of philosophy, psychology, artificial intelligence and the like. Many of these discussions have been very helpful, but no one has been able to point me to a specific thread in these disciplines that would help advance my train of thought.

My intent is to write some of these concerns in blog format, in order to better order my own thinking and (eventually) solicit help from others. I have had too many conversations where misunderstanding or incomplete description determined the content of the discussion. Perhaps I will be able to marshal these ideas into a cohesive picture that will enable me to better express myself in the future.

I make no claims to originality. Most of what I'm going to say here seems to me to be generally accepted, but not well understood (least of all by myself). I am seeking to ask clear questions, I welcome direction to answers.

No comments: